Friday, April 27, 2007

Getting Nailed


Right by my office is the world’s worst nail salon. While it is cheap, they seem to only employ blind people with Parkinson’s disease. After a nail treatment there, my nails begin to chip and peel almost instantly, not to mention the amount of polish that they apply to the skin of my fingers which makes me feel like an old bag-lady. I hate it there. But (and this should not come as a surprise to anyone) I am cheap and lazy so I continue to go.
Usually when I am there, a DVD of either Shania Twain in concert or “Michael Jackson live from Lithuania” is playing. Both are severely nauseating. Shania’s outfits are beyond disgusting and her songs are rage-inducing (“Man, I feel like a woman” is the worst song ever recorded and should be outlawed!) Meanwhile, Michael’s still wearing those short, black “when’s the flood coming?” pants and moonwalking and grabbing the sock stuffed into the crotch of his pants and pointing while throwing his head back. There are lots of shots of his adoring fans who are all wearing those Dr. Huxtable sweaters because they are poor and from Eastern Europe. Again, I want to yak. But the worst thing ever which put me off the salon for about a month was a Steven Segal movie that could not have been more fucking torturous! What the fuck are his movies about? Supernatural alien army ghosts? What the fuck is that shit? What is his appeal? That was the last straw… for a while anyway.
This past work week I’ve been in twice and I will need to go in for a third visit to have a nail repainted today but major things are happening at City Nails… there have been new (and arguably good) movies playing. On Monday evening, I was treated to 25 minutes of a confused and upset Brad Pitt crying and yelling and getting frustrated in “Babel”. Then last night, I watched some of “blood diamond” with the director’s commentary. (Conflict diamonds are bad!) It’s nice to get out of the office to rot my brain not only with the fumes of the polish but also with the sights and sounds of Hollywood’s heavy hitters.
I can’t wait to see what they have screening today!

No comments: