Tuesday, April 3, 2007

get your kicks on route stevie nicks

In 1998, I went to my first stevie nicks concert. It was in Hartford, Connecticut, where my friend brynn grew up. I had just finished my freshman of college in nyc and was back in philly for the summer. It was may 27th… the day after stevie’s birthday to be exact, and we were pumped.
I took the train to Hartford and brynn and I immediately realized we had to do something special to commemorate stevie’s big 5-0. We took what brynn’s mom described as a “good” sheet (it was a white, cotton, twin flat sheet from kmart)and then bought some spray paint and went to work. We sketched the words painstakingly in pencil first and ended up with a red and silver mega-banner reading “happy b-day stevie 5/26” (we wanted her to know we knew her birthday was the day before.) long story short, all it ended up being used for that night was as a curtain while we took turns peeing on the lawn. It made great wall decoration in my dorm rooms during the subsequent years at school however. I think my mom tossed it, that wench!
In the parking lot in Hartford, we were offered hot dogs laced with pcp. Sadly, we declined. We ended up passing out during a three-song medley that consisted of stevie songs I had never heard before and hope to never hear again.
Later that summer, brynn and another friend from college, Louisa, came to philly to see the stevie show in camden. I brought along two friends from high school and it turned out to be a glorious summer evening. I drove everyone in my mom’s black Volvo station wagon and we picked up some “provisions” en route. While sitting in the car, we decided to partake in some of said provisions and before we knew it, a bike cop was standing by the driver-side door, smiling. At this stage I had moved to the passenger seat and louisa was in the driver seat. After about 30 seconds of stationary silence (we must have all thought "if we don’t move maybe he won’t see us and will go away"), we urged louisa to roll down the window. The extremely kind officer simply took one of the glass provision holders from lou and emptied it. he returned the apparatus and went on his way, but not before telling us not to do any more. Needless to say, we didn’t listen.
Not too much later we decided to go into the venue. As we moved away from the car, I knew I was not feeling so good so I decided to lie down, right there in the middle of the parking lot, in a lane of traffic, to rest a while. Eventually my friends were able to bring me to my feet and we entered the arena.
I have been obsessed with stevie ever since and have been to other shows. i even saw her perform with fleetwood mac (minus Christine mcvie) in sydney in 2004. that show sucked because all the middle-aged aussies felt compelled to sit and be silent throughout. I was told to “shut the fuck up!” and “sit the fuck down” which resulted in me spilling an open container of Bacardi Breezer all into my purse. I was like, “hey convicts! This is a rock concert!”
Fingers crossed, I’ll be back in camden with stevie this june!

No comments: